The Aimhigher Learner Engagement Plan is a sequential and coherent programme of activities designed for learners in Years 7 to 13. Its main aim is to support the work of Aimhigher mentors in raising aspirations and improving progression rates to higher education, particularly among more disadvantaged young people. The programme is not intended to be prescriptive, but should provide a useful starting point upon which to build the exchanges with your learners.
The Engagement Plan is sequenced to deliver identified learner outcomes at particular phases in the learner journey through the national curriculum key stages to higher education entry. In our Engagement Plan, seven year groups are represented and can be divided into three phases:
- Introductory phase: Years 7, 8 and 9
- Developmental phase: Years 10 and 11
- Consolidation phase: Years 12 and 13
There are also a number of generic activities and information resources that mentors can use and tailor in the work with learners across all three phases.
The Engagement plan covers:
- Settling in to secondary education
- New subjects, new teachers, new friends
- Study and revision skills
- Learning styles
- A skills audit
- Soft skills
- Subject choice
- Qualifications and courses
- Career implications
- Higher education options
- Applications to higher education via UCAS
- Student finance
These activities will help the learner achieve the outcomes outlined in the three phases, and in particular:
- Awareness of HE opportunities, and a basic understanding of HE and its significance
- Recognition of the links between the learners’ current curriculum and study at HE level
- An understanding of the different types of institutions and courses
- Ability to make informed decisions and recognise that choices may influence career aspirations and options
- An understanding of their own learning styles
- Ability to demonstrate and apply the skills required to study at HE level: critical thinking; independent learning; organising their own work, etc
Delivering the Aimhigher Learner Engagement Plan
The Learner Engagement Plan has been designed to assist mentors in planning and structuring sessions that will engage and motivate learners at each stage of their development.
There are around 15 relevant areas for attention for each year group. The links in the tables below take you to a suite of suggested activities and resources to support you in your work, as well as information on other events and activities organised by Aimhigher and partner Universities that might be of interest to your learners. These include campus visits, subject enrichment programmes, master classes, revision classes, summer schools, and higher education conventions. Please note that although the Engagement Plan is divided up into year groups and Key Stages, your learners may benefit from activities which feature in other sections. For example, a year 11 pupil may not have the knowledge as described in the year 11 section. Therefore, some of the activities from the year 9 and 10 sections would be better suited.
|Phase||Year Groups||Main Themes/Activities/Resources|
|Generic||Years 7 to 13||